Here’s the fact about augmented reality. Since the beginning of time, nature and the world, in general, have evolved; adapting to the different climatic conditions, extinctions, and reformations. Man as the most intelligent creature has kept discovering new ways to survive from weaponry to civilization.
In 1968, the first Augmented Reality (AR) was developed at Harvard as an AR head-mounted display system. This was created by Ivan Sutherland who was known as the father of AR. Later on, universities and special laboratories were able to expand this incredible technology to wearable devices and digital displays.
What Is Augmented Reality?
Augmented reality is an interactive experience in a real-world environment using computer-generated graphics. This has evolved through tech to the extent that sometimes it tricks the brain to assume it’s an actual real world. This technology is used to enhance the digital experience in video games, presentations, product launches, and marketing campaigns. The fact that AR supports a vivid illustration enables businesses to help consumers realize the worth of a product.
Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Meta (formerly Facebook) recently invented a new technology known as the Metaverse. What began as the social media site/app known as Facebook is now encompassing several products and mainly the Metaverse.
Simply put, the Metaverse is a virtual reality space in which users can physically interact with the computer-generated environment. According to the updated dictionary, Metaverse is a single word in futurism that defines a hypothetical iteration of the internet as a single, immersive, universal world. Since 2020, musicians such as Justin Bieber have been holding concerts and other events virtually. This clearly indicates that AR has gone beyond more video games; it’s about to become an alternative lifestyle. AR is now consistently becoming a part of our daily lives and it’s part of the reasons why video games trend so much.
Also Read: How Zuckerberg Reversed TikTok-like Behavior In Instagram Because Of Kim Kardashian
According to Insider Intelligence, it is expected that there will be a Growth of more than 20 million people in the USA using AR. The possibility of AR becoming a mainstream technology is probable, but just like the internet happened, anything is possible.
When Was 5G Introduced?
On April 3rd, 2019, 5G technology was introduced to the world with people living in Chicago and Minneapolis being the first people in the world to use 5G-enabled smartphones on a 5G network.
According to Wikipedia, 5G is the fifth-generation technology standard for broadband cellular networks. The technology enables cellular phones to access the internet at wickedly fast speeds. Sources have revealed that the network can deliver up to 20GB per second. The essence here is that the technology will be able to support heavy data-consuming activities like artificial intelligence.
This technology was the planned successor to the 4G networks which provide connectivity to most current cellphones.
How 5G Will Enhance Augmented Reality
Now you might be asking yourself how 5G will affect augmented reality. Below is a list of scenarios where 5G might enhance augmented reality and its reach.
1. Advanced distant healthcare
There has never been a better time to use advanced healthcare methods than post covid. 5G will help AR with fast bandwidth to enable virtual training, especially with surgical sciences. While using AR, one will be able to do science experiments without putting anyone in danger.
2. More Realistic Gaming | Augmented Reality
Streaming and gaming are probably the most famous things on the internet right now. This popularity has enabled more advanced features in gaming software especially realistic videos. You might be able to give into the world of your favorite game and enjoy the thrill of it all. You will also have an avatar representative in the game world as you experience terror and ecstasy.
3. Up Close Sports Experience
Are you unable to make it to the huge stadium? Are you unable to afford to miss your favorite team’s game? 5G in partnership with Augmented reality will be able to allow you experience your favorite match vividly as though you’re sorted next to other spectators, except in the comfort of your home.
4. No more missing Meetings
With the invention of avatars, you can be able to attend your meeting without actually facing the camera. Avatars are a virtual representation of a computer user in modern internet and virtual reality. With the invention of 5G, avatars have adopted extremely humanlike forms.
5. Immersive Marketing
With augmented reality, 5g will help business showcase their products in new ways. Customers on the other hand will enjoy the benefit of engaging with a product before actually buying it. For example, an advertiser will set up graphics to allow window shoppers to try out a new outfit before buying it. This kind of marketing method will reduce the spread of diseases. This in turn can maximize sales and hence higher profits for companies.
Pros of Augmented Reality
- Enhanced experience. Since the technology combines both the virtual and real world, users are able to experience the natural world mixed with the virtual world. This, therefore, works so well to enhance user experience and satisfaction.
- Ease of use. Right now, you can use the AR app on android and iOS and this confirms the existence of digital clothes and assets. This also indicates that we shall be able to access digital material using the closest gadgets. You can easily also customize the color, shape, and size of your digital property without any skills.
- Social Interaction. AR will be the first invention in the world to actually allow people to interact using all sense organs without meeting. With Metaverse, for example, one can actually hang out with their favorite celebrity without any limitations. This is because the technology washes away the possibility of security threats.
- Learning and skills – Augmented reality enables one to have an advanced learning experience. For instance, you may be able to learn engineering perfectly without getting in touch with a physical machine.
- Expensive – Clearly, augmented reality is highly-priced for the average person to afford. This is because the resources used to create the devices alongside the 5G technology are quite uncommon.
- Assault on confidentiality – The very fact that AR requires a lot of information about a user before they can get the full experience is a threat to privacy. The technology might require recognizing very specific details like one’s facial expressions, character, name, location, and many more. For those who are uncomfortable sharing such information, this might be a deterring fact.
- Unexpected accidents – Some games like Pokemon Go will hide some real-life signals from a user. In case one is on the road or in a busy place, they may get run into unknowingly.
Augmented reality has existed for more than 30 years although it has just become prominent recently, especially after Metaverse. Technology is slowly, but steadily growing and we just have our fingers crossed about how far it might go and if it’ll change the world.
So, what do you think?